Thursday, January 5, 2012

Little Black Dress (of mourning..)

I wanted to create a little black dress. I found myself using a lot of busy patterned fabric and I wanted to go with a solid for something different. I had been wanting to use the New Look 6723 pattern for quite sometime and this seemed like the time to try it. With this project I also wanted to take my time and make sure the fit was perfect and to really challenge myself I wanted to attempt all finished seams-no raw edges on this project!


Since this project was done.. months ago (whoops), I can't really recall how long it took me, but I know it was a relaxed, multiple day thing. I was really impressed with myself for not rushing (about halfway through most projects I find myself in a hurry to get it done because I'm so excited to see the end product!) and sticking to my challenge of closing all seams. It was worth it. (Even if it was a pain in the ass at certain parts...)

I used a french seam pretty much all over, and for the inner sleeves I slip stitched-which I LOATHE, but it looks fantastic.
french seams, and enclosed hem finished with barely visible adorable bow stitches

inner sleeve, slip stitching

I love this dress and I love the pattern however, I feel it looks like a funeral dress. In black, its just.. blah. I tried to give it something special by finishing off the edges with a cute bow stitch but it just blends into the fabric.. So. I learned a lot from the dress and I will certainly use this pattern again, just on something brighter or printed. And for future reference, when using a cute stitch, use a contrasting or metallic thread!

No comments:

Post a Comment