Wednesday, June 1, 2011

So far, favorite thing I have ever made!

Voila! Here it is, the dress I will live in this summer. I'm pretty in love.


I used the bodice from Simplicity 3823 with some alterations. I made a size 12 and it was HUGE! I ended up taking it in about 2 or 3 inches (I'm glad I tried it on midway, next time I'll make an 8). I also shortened the midriff by about 2 inches, I just didn't like the look of a long midriff. The back pieces called for boning, which I didn't have so I skipped it. This made the back droop a bit but I just put 2 cute tucks in the back instead.


You can also see the cute pink flower buttons I put in for the halter (and the rash my baby skin was getting from leaning against the house). For the skirt bottom I just cut 2 rectangles of fabric 20in by 30in, and gave them some gathers and pockets, I need to have pockets. I shortened the zipper from the 12 inches it called for to about 8 inches-to just above the pocket. I've made dresses before with pockets and side zippers and its a pain in the ass, I wasn't in the mood for it. Because I needed to take in a lot of fabric on the sides, I wasn't thinking about how that would effect the zipper and that backfired in my face. The top edge of the dress, under my right arm, doesn't line up, but it's the only imperfection and its small, so I'm over it. (I still struggle a bit with zippers and I've yet to purchase an actual zipper foot... oh well.) I was able to fully line this dress with no problem, the fabric is so awesome but it was sheer so I just lined it with white muslin, its still very lightweight.

I was planning on making the green linen dress these past two days but I spent Tuesday getting all the tedious prep done for it and all I could think about was this adorable pink, orange and grey polka dot fabric! So I jumped projects. I wanted to use the fabric for something I would get to wear a lot, so a simple sundress it was! I am really really happy with the way it came out! I took my time, learned the value of baste stitching and trying it on first before actually stitching it (and then having to spend some quality time with my seam ripper) and I made sure it fit me well so I would actually wear it. After all is said and done, it cost me about $20. (Woohoo!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment