Sunday, June 12, 2011

Another (mostly) Successful Endeavor!

This is the Cynthia Rowley 2178 dress in view A that I had been planning to make for Bremi's Engagement Party, and it's done!

 This dress was a fairly easy to make. The pleating and gathers on the skirt held me up for a bit, it didn't help that I accidentally made the dress reversed...   All the reviews I read were suggesting that the strap was too long and the bodice too short, however, I thought they were probably just trying to make the dress sit differently on them then it was supposed to, and I still think that. I made it exactly like the pattern suggested and I thought everything was perfect. The only issue I found was the interfaced ring of fabric for the bottom inside of the skirt was too short, I just took the skirt in a bit and voila, problem solved.

I chose the green linen fabric because I loved the color and I thought linen would be a nice summer dress material. For this dress however, I think the linen is too think for the shoulder tie, a little too bulky for my liking. 

I love everything about this dress, but its a size too big. I went by the measurements suggested, like I always do, and once more, too big. Unfortunately I was trying it on throughout the process and thought the sizing was spot on until I put the finished product on (at which point I was over the project and not in the mood to take the zipper out to take in the bodice, I'll probably do it in the future... maybe..). Regardless, I feel like I'll still wear this dress this summer.

I'm actually about to start another dress as a contender for said party in a yellow eyelet fabric for the D version of this dress, this time one size smaller. Its frustrating because I feel like my skills for making things is pretty swell, it's just the sizing I'm struggling with (it's really hard to pin to fit a dress yourself when it's on your body!). This problem will be solved within the week though because I bought myself a dressform today, for a reasonable price too-$100.74 from Amazon-free shipping. I've been thinking about buying one for awhile and finally just did it. I'm excited!

2 comments:

  1. I think you picked an awesome fabric for this dress! It's so freakin adorable!!The shoulder tie looks right on trend for this season too. We're getting a lot of dresses with bulky ties in my store lately. I might have to hire you to make me a cute reception dress for next year!! ^___^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genni, this could be arranged. =)

    ReplyDelete