Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Super Success!

So, right here is a project I actually wasn't too psyched about in the beginning. I wanted to sew, but I didn't know what, and I had some cute fabric kicking around so I decided to dive right in and hope for the best. What a pleasant surprise!

Originally I was going to make the yellow ruffley dress, however, I didn't have enough fabric for the skirt. So I used the bodice-sans belt and bow-and then just cut 2 rectangles out and added some pleats. I was very surprised with the results!

I made the bodice in a size 8, and skipped the boning because I didn't have any. I probably could have gone with a size 6 because I did take a bit in. This was my first strapless endeavor and it was a success! (The skirt is very snug above my hips so I'm sure that helps hold everything up.)
I wore this dress out last weekend on dinner date with Dana and the Harv-Guilars. It is pure cotton so the top, that fit so perfectly, did start to stretch out and I did spend the later half of the evening hoisting it back up. That's no different than any other strapless dress I've ever worn though, and I never feared that it would slip so low that I would be giving a show. 

I am going to use that ruffley pattern on some nice dark purple fabric soon for a fancy girly evening dress... it will go wonderfully with some black leopard print tights I bought on Sunday...

3 comments:

  1. I want I want I want I want! Ahhh!!!
    I LOL'd at "Harv-Guilars!" :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I chuckled and patted myself on the back when I said Harv-Guilars!

    ReplyDelete