Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Two very similar BUT different sundresses.

Coincidentally my Fourth-of-July-Four-Days-Off projects are patriotic in color. This IS a coincidence, I've had the fabric kicking around for a month. I tried out two different patterns with two very similar results. Two cute sundresses that fit so well I don't even have to wear a bra-woohoo!!

Project 1: Simplicity 2362

LOVE this dress. Insanely comfy. I made view D but instead of two shoulder straps I made it a racerback with big buttons.


It was pretty easy, but once more-I made the size I should based on the 'finished garment size' and I still needed to take it in about 2 inches-on EACH side. It's a bummer because that threw off the placement of the pleats on the back skirt. I plan on making this dress again, and this time I'll make it in an 8. I love the fabric I picked for this, just a cotton with little flowers. I think the total cost of this project was around $10!!







Project 2: Maryy Dress from Burdastyle.com (free patterns for the win)
 So, I have made a dress before from a pattern I got from this site. You print them at home and put them together-fairly easy. However, I always get confused by their instructions. SO, I actually started this dress about a month ago, got frustrated and confused within 20 minutes and put it away. Last night I decided to whip it out and give it another go. I breezed through it! I didn't even need the directions after a point because it was so straight forward. As easy as it was, I'm not a huge fan of the end result, but I think that's because it's so similar to the Simplicity one.

Basically the difference is in pleats versus gathers and I like the pleats better. So, this will probably be the only Maryy dress I make. (sizing was spot on though!) This project was also about $10!!

1 comment: